Treatment is aimed at :
- Getting rid of acne
- Preventing further breakouts
- Getting rid of dark spots
- Getting rid of acne scars
- Making the face clear, smooth and youthful again
Treatment for acne
1.BENZOYLPEROXIDE : this has an antibiotic property, reduces sebum production, reduces inflammation and redness. It can be used as a spot treatment and get rid of active acne within 1-3days. It can be irritating and should avoid being applied around the eyes and corners of the nose.
It is available in the form of benzoylperoxide gel, e.g zapzyt, found in face wash, and in creams.
2. RETINOIDS: can be used to treat moderate acne. It is a form of vitamin A, it treats acne, prevents breakouts, it cause mild exfoliation to help prevent clogging of pores. It is also used as one of the top anti-aging treatments prevents fine lines, wrinkles and age spots.
It’s is available as tretinoin in different percentages from 0.025%, 0.05%, and 0.1%. You should start with small strength of 0.025 or 0.05 and work you let way upto 0.1%.
It Should NOT be used in combination with benzoyl peroxide.
It should be used ONLY AT NIGHT as it can cause skin sensitivity to sun. ensure to wash face before use, use daily or incorporate into daily night time regimen.
3.TOPICL ANTIBIOTICS: includes clindamycin, or erythromycin used with benzoylperoxide gel in sever cases.
4. Consult medical professional for for administration of oral antibiotics.
5. AZELAIC ACID: safe for pregnancy and breastfeeding, and helps in treatment of discoloration.
6. COCP’s in women who already want to be on contraceptives is very effective especially in hormonal acne. It has its side effects, consult medical professional before commencement.